On the Go Family Snack Recipes for Your Next Adventure
Planning a road trip, day at the beach or lake, hiking trip for some sightseeing, or just looking to head to a nearby park for a picnic? Be prepared for the adventures ahead with homemade traveling snacks for the family that everyone is sure to love! Whether you’re looking for quick kid-friendly snacks, like muffins and granola, or more filling on the go food, like sandwiches and pasta salad, we’ve compiled a list of healthier options to bring along on your next family outing!
10 Homemade Traveling Snack Recipes for Healthier On the Go Food Options
1. Apple Almond Granola
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup thawed apple juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Blue Diamond® Almond Flour
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened large flake coconut
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Cook brown sugar, juice concentrate, honey, butter and cinnamon in a large saucepan over medium-high heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in almond flour, then stir in remaining ingredients.
- Transfer to baking sheet and press into a solid ¾-inch thick layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring lightly once halfway through cooking.
- Remove from oven and stir lightly to form clusters. Let cool completely.
2. Creamy Cubano Sandwich
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 tablespoons flour (divided)
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon dill pickle juice
- 1 cup Blue Diamond® Original Unsweetened Almond Breeze® (or for extra creaminess use Almond Breeze® Unsweetened Almond Cashew Blend Original)
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 Bolillo or soft French rolls (halved horizontally)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard (to assemble)
- 16 dill pickle slices
- 12 oz. thinly sliced ham
- 2 tablespoons butter (to grill)
- To prepare cheese sauce, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Whisk in 1 tablespoon of the flour, mustard and pickle juice and cook for 1 minute more. Slowly add Almond Breeze®, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes. Add cream cheese and cook until sauce is smooth and thickened; remove from heat.
- Toss Swiss cheese with remaining flour and add to Breeze mixture a little at a time, whisking slowly and constantly. Place back on very low heat cooking only until cheese is fully melted. Season with salt and pepper; set aside and keep warm.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread roll bottoms with mustard. Top with pickles and ham and close sandwiches. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook sandwiches for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until warm and golden brown, pressing down firmly with a plate or spatula to compress. Remove from skillet and carefully remove roll tops. Drizzle with half the warm cheese sauce and replace roll tops. Serve with remaining cheese sauce. Makes 4 servings.
3. No Bake Dark Chocolate Cookie Dough Cups
- 1 (3.5 ounce) 85% dark chocolate bar (dairy free if desired)
- 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze® almond beverage
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons natural almond butter
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt if your almond butter isn’t already salted
- 1.5 tablespoon mini chocolate chips (dairy free if desired)
- Line a mini muffin pan with 9 mini liners. We’re only making half, but if you want you can double the recipe to make 18 mini cups.
- Now it’s time to melt the chocolate: Place half of the dark chocolate bar into a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second increments until chocolate is melted. You can also melt the chocolate in a medium saucepan over low heat; stirring frequently.
- Once chocolate is melted, add 1 teaspoon to the bottom of each cup (about 1 heaping teaspoon). Use the spoon to push/spread the chocolate all the way up sides of each liner, you should use exactly the amount of chocolate that you melted. Once you’ve filled all the cups, place the pan in freezer for just a few minutes to harden the chocolate.
- Make the cookie dough filling: In a medium bowl mix together almond beverage, melted coconut oil, almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla and salt. Fold chocolate chips into the dough.
- Place 1/2 tablespoon of the cookie dough mixture in each cup on top of the chocolate. It should fill pretty much to the top. Place back in the freezer while you melt the remaining chocolate bar in the microwave (or on the stovetop) as you did with the previous bar.
- Spoon about 1 teaspoon melted chocolate on top of the cookie dough, making sure you cover all of the cookie dough filling. Freeze for 10-20 minutes until chocolate is solid. Once cups are firm, you can store them freezer until ready to eat. Makes 9 mini cookie dough cups.
4. Sunny Creamy Pasta Salad
- 1 cup haricots verts sliced in half lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces short curly pasta such as fusilli
- 2 medium yellow squash
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts drained and sliced into halves or quarters
- 3/4 cup cooked navy beans drained and rinsed
- 1 heaping cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- Scant 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives sliced in half
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup Almond Breeze® Cashew Blend Unsweetened Original
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil and place a bowl of ice water nearby. Blanch the haricots verts for 1 minute, then transfer to the ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Prepare the pasta according to the instructions on the package, cooking until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Make the dressing: In a small-medium bowl, whisk together the beverage, tahini, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, salt, and pepper.
- In a very large bowl, combine the pasta, haricots verts, yellow squash, artichoke hearts, navy beans, cherry tomatoes, red onion, and olives. Toss with the dressing. Mix in the parsley, basil, and sunflower seeds. Season to taste with more salt (I add ½ teaspoon).
- This salad can be served immediately at room temperature. It can also be made in advance the day before and chilled. Season to taste before serving.
5. Creamy Mexican Street Corn Salad
- 1 cup Almond Breeze® Original (or Unsweetened) almond beverage
- 1.5 Tbsp. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. sugar (omit if using Original almond beverage)
- 4 cups fresh or frozen; thawed corn
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 Tbsp. chopped; seeded jalapeño
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Lime wedges; optional
- Crumbled feta or cojita cheese; optional
- Combine the almond beverage, flour and salt in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring.
- Cook, stirring frequently, 2 minutes or until thickened. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Whisk in lime juice, oil, vinegar and sugar if using. Cool to room temperature.
- Add corn, cilantro, onion, jalapeño and pepper; stir well to combine. Cover and chill at least 1 hour before serving. Serve with fresh lime wedges and a sprinkle of cheese, if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
6. Vegan Potato Salad
FOR THE POTATOES
- 3/4 pound red potatoes
- 3/4 pound purple potatoes
- 3/4 pound yellow gold potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced green onions
FOR THE HERBED TAHINI DRESSING
- 1/3 cup tahini sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2-4 tablespoons Almond Breeze® Almond Cashew Unsweetened Vanilla to thin
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place potatoes in a large pot filled with water and 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium then boil for 10-13 minutes or until you can easily insert a knife into a potato.
- While the potatoes are boiling, make the tahini sauce: Add tahini sauce, lemon juice, unsweetened vanilla almond cashew blend, garlic, dijon mustard, parsley, cilantro, dill, salt and pepper to a blender, and blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and then add more salt and pepper, if necessary.
- When the potatoes are ready, drain them, transfer to a bowl and place them in the fridge for 1 hour or until completely cool.
- Once potatoes are cooled, slice them into ½ inch rounds and place in a bowl or on a large serving platter. Add green onions. Drizzle or toss with tahini dressing.
- Garnish with extra green onions and chopped dill. Serves 6-8.
7. Apple Nut Bars
- 1/2 stick vegan buttery sticks; softened (1/4 cup)
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup Almond Breeze® Original almond beverage
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1.5 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1 cup finely diced peeled apple
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tsp. powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 13”x9” baking pan with cooking spray. Line bottom with parchment paper and spray paper.
- In large bowl, beat vegan buttery stick and brown sugar with electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs. Beat on low till well mixed. Beat in almond beverage.
- Add flour, oats, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Beat on low speed until moistened. By hand, stir in apple, raisins and nuts.
- Spread in pan. Bake 23 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely. Sift powdered sugar over cooled bars. Store loosely covered.
8. Chicken & Mango Rainbow Veggie Wraps
- 1 cup Almond Breeze® Unsweetened Coconut
- 3/4 cup smooth almond butter
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced or grated fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (to taste)
- whole wheat wrap/ tortilla or lavish bread
Choose an assortment of colorful veggies and or fruits like mango or pineapple and cut into pieces or shred, such as:
- bell peppers of any color
- red onion
- leafy lettuce
- mint or basil
- purple cabbage or green cabbage
- water chestnuts
- snap peas
- sliced almonds or sesame seeds
- chopped green onion
- Place your wrap on a flat surface and layer with the veggies, chicken, and herbs.
- Drizzle with a few spoonfuls of the almond sauce and garnish with your favorite bold flavour almonds and green onions.
- Fold into a cylinder, cut in half or in pinwheels and serve. Wraps can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
9. Coconut Mango Muffins
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup Almond Breeze® Almond Cashew Blend (at room temperature)
- 2 cups spelt flour (or white/wheat mix)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar for the topping
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup finely diced ripe mango
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Combine the ground flaxseed and water and set aside to thicken. Stir the lime juice into the almond coconut blend and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and 1/2 cup of sugar. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flaxseed mixture, almond beverage/lime juice mixture, coconut oil and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in the diced mango.
- Evenly divide the batter into the muffin cups, filling each about three-quarters full. Sprinkle with the coconut flakes and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- If desired, sprinkle lightly with the remaining sugar and finely chopped toasted coconut almonds for added crunch.
Note: 1 egg can be substituted in place of flax + water mixture!
10. Romesco Cauliflower Sandwiches
- 1 small head of cauliflower
- 8 slices of ciabatta or sourdough bread
- Handful of salad greens
- Several pieces of thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tomatoes sliced and seasoned with sea salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE ALMOND BEVERAGE ROMESCO SAUCE (makes extra)
- 1 tomato halved and cored
- 1 roasted red pepper fresh or from a jar
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Almond Breeze® Almond Beverage Original Unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the cauliflower into half inch slabs and place onto the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and pinches of salt and pepper and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until tender in the middle and golden around the edges.
- Make the Romesco Sauce: In a blender, combine the tomato, roasted red pepper, almonds, garlic, olive oil, almond beverage, red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Assemble the sandwiches with the romesco sauce, salad greens, red onions, tomato slices and roasted cauliflower and a few sprigs of parsley.
These homemade on the go food options will have your family feeling nourished and ready to get back into whatever adventure you’re on, from road trips to picnics in a nearby park.
Looking For Almond Breeze®?
We’re here to help.