- 1/4 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup Whey Chocolate Protein Powder (see notes for additional info)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla or Chocolate Almond Milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips, plus 2 tablespoons for topping
- 1/2 cup raspberries, broken up into large pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 8x8 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place oats in blender and blend for a minute or until they resemble the consistency of flour (yes, you just made oat flour!). Transfer oat flour to medium bowl then whisk in protein powder and cocoa powder; set aside.
- Whisk together applesauce, egg, honey, vanilla and almond milk until smooth and well combined. Add to dry ingredients and mix together until just combined.
- Heat coconut oil and 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips in a small saucepan over very low heat; stir continuously until all chocolate chips and coconut oil have melted together (you can also heat them in a microwave safe bowl for 30-45 seconds). Gently stir into brownie batter.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips and raspberries on top; sometimes I like to swirl them in the batter with a knife. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until just cooked through and the top has set. Transfer pan to wire rack to cool completely. Once cool, cut into 12 bars -- please note that bars should be kept covered in the refrigerator and enjoyed cold!
- I used Pro Performance AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 Chocolate Protein Powder from GNC and the calories reflect that - each scoop is about 90 calories. Any vanilla or chocolate protein powder should work fine though!
- If you don't have applesauce on hand, you can substitute with 1 small ripe banana. I've experimented with both!
- To make vegan: I suspect that you can make this recipe vegan by using a vegan protein powder such as Vega, and by using a flax egg. I have not tested this though. Also, please make sure to use vegan chocolate chips and agave instead of honey.
- If you want to make this recipe gluten free, please ensure that your protein powder and vanilla are gluten free.
- Instead of raspberries why not add some of your favorite toppings? Coconut and sliced almonds would be delicious! Do your thing!