- 4 cups diced butternut squash (about 1/2 a medium butternut squash)
- 2 1/2 cups Unsweetened Original Almond Breeze
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces (about 2 cups) white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 bunch kale, chopped (about 3 packed cups)
- 1 pound whole wheat (or alternative grain) pasta
- Salt and pepper
- additional cheese, for topping
- Combine the butternut squash, Almond Breeze, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and nutmeg in a pot. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the squash is tender.
- Add the butternut squash mixture to a blender with the white beans and blend until completely smooth. A stick blender should also work here, if you prefer.
- Transfer butternut squash/bean mixture back to the pot (no heat yet). Add the cheese a little at a time, stirring until melted and incorporated. Then, add the kale.
- Return the pot to heat and cook over low heat until kale is wilted. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain, then mix with the sauce.
- Serve mac & cheese immediately or pour into a baking dish, top with additional shredded cheese, and broil until golden brown and bubbling.