- 1/2 cup fresh pink grapefruit juice, lightly simmered for 8 minutes and cooled
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Zest of 1 grapefruit
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup unsweetened Almond Breeze almond milk
- Grapefruit zest
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Buttercream: Place butter into a bowl of a stand mixer or into a large mixing bowl and cream. With the motor running, add 2 cups of powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, to the butter until fully incorporated and smooth. Stir in the grapefruit juice until fully incorporated. Add the remaining powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time until you have a good buttercream consistency. Set aside until ready to use, (if using at a later time, store in an airtight container and re-whip before using for best consistency).
- Cupcakes: Place flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Place butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer or in a mixing bowl and cream together. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Fold in the vanilla and almond extract.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat together until fully combined. Stir in almond milk until a loose batter has formed.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and fill each liner 2/3 of the way with the batter.
- Bake cupcakes for 22 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cupcake.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Finish the cupcakes with fresh grapefruit zest and serve.